YRMC Respiratory Wellness Classes - click
here for info.
Respiratory Care services at YRMC are available to both inpatients or outpatients
24 hours a day, seven days a week, to all age groups. Respiratory Care is the healthcare
discipline that specializes in the promotion of optimum cardiopulmonary function
and health. Respiratory therapists apply scientific principles to prevent, identify
and treat acute or chronic dysfunction of the cardiopulmonary (relating to the heart
and lungs) system.
The practice of Respiratory Care encompasses diagnostic evaluation, therapy, and
education of the patient, family and the public. The focus of patient and family
education is to promote knowledge of disease processes, medical therapy and self-help.
- Spirometry: A lung-function test to determine the volume of a patient’s breath,
how fast he or she can move the air in that breath, and whether breathing medications
- Methacholine challenge: A lung-function test to determine if a patient has
a reactive airway disease, such as asthma.
- EEO (exercise evaluation oximetry): A test that checks oxygen needs, both
when resting and with exercise by measuring the oxygen level of circulating blood.
- Transcutaneous oximetry: A test that measures the amount of oxygen available
to the body’s tissue.
- Outpatient treatments: Treatments that include chest percussion therapy and
pulse oximetry and basic breathing treatments.
- Pulmonary assessment: A number of tests used to evaluate the pulmonary health
of patients considering open-heart surgery.
- Respiratory Wellness Program: A program provided in cooperation with YRMC’s
Pendleton Centers in which patients learn about respiratory equipment, medications,
stress management, nutrition, muscle strengthening and breathing techniques, and
more – all designed to increase the ease of daily living.